These delicious homemade crumpets will absolutely become a family favourite in your home. They are much easier to make then you would expect and are something the kids can help you create.
MAKES: 8-10 PREP TIME: 10 MIN REST: 45MINS COOKING TIME: 20 MIN
150g plain flour
200ml lukewarm water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp of yeast (dry
1 tbsp warm water
- Mix your Flour, Salt and 200ml of water in a mixer for about 1-2 min until its combined & smooth
- While it’s mixing add the yeast to tbsp of water in a separate cup or bowl (something small) & give that a good mix till its dissolved
- Add the yeast, sugar & baking powder into your mixing bowl and continue to mix for about 30 secs making sure you scrape the sides at least once
- Cover with a towel and tie the towel so it's sealed, leave for about 30-45 mins somewhere warm. Mine was 45 but it’s cooler here so it will likely if you have it next to a fire or it’s summer
- Once you have lots of lovely bubbles on top it's ready 😍
- Grease your pan and egg rings with a little butter
- Start heating the pan on medium whilst you add your rings and mixture
- Fill the rings about 3/4 max full of mixture (don’t overfill it otherwise it will overflow) reduce the temp to lower heat for them to cook
- Cook until all the bubbles have popped and the top is pretty much dry, you can pop the last couple of bubbles with a fork
- Flip it over just to brown the top & your done!
- Eat straight away or toast them lightly later
Store these in an airtight container once cooled completely & freeze them for up to 4 months.
They are perfect toasted for your morning breakfast or a quick snack
You can purchase the Egg Rings from your local supermarket, they are on a few $ each